Canterbury – Emerson
On Shaker Road, North of Shaker Village
63 acres of forest and field with a brook traversing property
Public access, no formal trails
This property, which is part of one of the oldest farms in Canterbury dates back to 1785, and was once part of the extended Canterbury Shaker Village. The protection of this property by Dave Emerson in 2003 was the fulfillment of a long time family goal. This property abuts other former Shaker land that was protected by the neighbors in the 1980’s as part of the Land Conservation Investment Program.
The property includes several secluded scenic fields that have been grazed or have been in hay production for many years. Behind the fields the property is wooded with pocket wetlands and a small scenic brook that traverses the land. This area is a known wildlife travel corridor that has been popular with local hunters for generations.