Salisbury – Lake
Franklin Road/Rte. 127
19 acres of scenic views & fields
No public access
Almost 50 years ago, Fredric and Harriet Lake fell in love with an old country house and barn with open hay fields in the small village of Salisbury. The Lakes purchased the Fellows Farm in 1956 and made an annual summer pilgrimage from Chicago to lovingly restore the house over many years to its original Federal-period charm.
In 2004, unable to continue their annual eastward trek, the Lakes decided to sell the property to a new owner who would love and maintain the house and property as they had done for almost five decades. Before selling the property, the Lakes donated an easement on almost 19 acres of open space to Five Rivers, so that the property would be preserved intact for future generations. Shortly after the easement was recorded, a prospective buyer was identified. The buyer welcomed the easement, and decided to purchase the property.
Although relatively small, the farm offers scenic views from Rt. 127 of open fields bordered by sugar maples and provides wildlife habitat for the animal life that abounds in the wooded portion of the property and in the extensive wetland system nearby. It is situated at the gateway to Salisbury Village, just a few doors down from the former home of an uncle of Daniel Webster and just a few miles from Daniel Webster’s birthplace.